Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A Former Bride Confesses: Wedding Planning

You don't have to spend a fortune, just pay attention to the details.

  • Save your budget for the bigger things, like food and drinks. If you are like me, use your resources. I was fortunate to have someone that had a very creative mind. I printed our engagement photos and put them in nice frames I purchased from the local store to add something to every table. I also used my venue as inspiration. They had great vintage tables that matched the Italian countryside look I was going for. Another great addition was my seating chart and menu. I rented old doors and windows from a local store and saved on having to print more paper goods that way. You have Pinterest. Use it, don't abuse it.
Take advantage of the little moments.
  • I had this entire idea in my mind of all the pictures I wanted taken. I'm pretty sure I drove the photographer crazy. In the end, the best pictures were the ones I didn't plan for. One of my favorites is actually with my mom as I'm getting dressed. It was a candid shot I never thought about taking. 

Take a moment with your soon-to-be husband.
  • I can't stress how much that moment meant to me. Your day will be chaotic from the start. You are the center of attention, and the time you and your new husband will have alone is almost non-existent. I wanted him to see me walking down the aisle for the first time so we improvised by using a blindfold. I found out then that he was just as nervous as I was, but taking a deep breath and solidifying the reasons we were together, alone, was very gratifying. Did I mention it's also a great photo op?
Make your exit memorable.


  • Even though our original plan was to have sparklers, the last minute switch was perfect. Make it memorable by being spontaneous. My husband surprised me and we ended up with the best picture of the night. 

Eat, dance, and hire help.


  • The day of your wedding, you will be very busy. A day-of coordinator is a must. Let someone else worry about the problems, because there will be problems. Another great piece of advice someone gave me was to eat and dance. You will be surprised by how easy those two little things can be forgotten. Greet your guests, thank them for coming, and take your new husband for a spin on the dance floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment